Okra is one of our most common vegetables. It is rich in nutrients and has the effect of strengthening the stomach and nourishing yin and yang. Nowadays, materials are abundant, so we will buy more food, and we will choose to freeze it when we can’t finish it. Some foods will lose their nutritional value after being frozen and stored. So, is organic frozen okra still edible? What is the nutritional value?
Is organic frozen okra edible?
Okra can be kept refrigerated or frozen, so organic frozen okra is edible.
Fresh okra can generally be stored in the refrigerator for about seven days. It can be wrapped in white newspaper, then wrapped in a layer of plastic bags or plastic wrap, and placed in the refrigerator.
It should be noted that because okra is very susceptible to scratches, it will turn black soon after scratching, so whether it is picked or stored, it must be picked and placed individually without squeezing. It’s best to pack them in ziploc bags before putting them in the refrigerator, and try to lay them flat in a row.
And don’t let the okra directly touch the ice cubes or ice water, because once the okra touches the ice, the whole okra will become very soft and rotten and lose its original elastic taste.
How to make organic frozen okra delicious
Wash the okra and remove the stems.
The best way to eat okra is to eat it whole or cut in half. If it feels too large, cut it into pieces. But don’t cut it into thin slices or shreds, otherwise the nutrients will be easily lost.
- Make a pot and add an appropriate amount of water to boil, add a few drops of cooking oil and salt, and add okra. Blanch for 3 minutes to remove astringency.
- Take it out and soak in cold water.
- Put the chicken in the water, put it on a plate, and add garlic paste.
- Add your favorite seasonings according to your own taste.
How to store organic frozen okra
(1) Refrigeration and storage
This method will keep it fresh for about seven days.
- Trim the stalk of the okra neatly, put it in a fresh-keeping bag or plastic fresh-keeping box, seal it, and wrap it in newspaper to prevent direct contact with the crushed ice in the refrigerator.
- After wrapping the newspaper, put it in the bottom layer of the refrigerator to refrigerate.
Since okra is a tropical plant and is afraid of cold, the best temperature in the refrigerator is 5 to 9 degrees, and it is easy to grow frost spots when it is lower than 4 degrees. In the refrigerator compartment, only the lowest temperature can meet this requirement, and the temperature here is about 6 to 10 degrees.
(2) Quick-freeze storage
This method can be kept fresh for 9 months, but the longer the preservation time, the more nutrients the okra loses. It is recommended that you try to eat it within two weeks. At this time, there is basically no loss of nutrition.
- After trimming the stalks of the okra neatly, put them in boiling water and blanch for 0.5 to 1 minute. Remember to add an appropriate amount of salt to the water before blanching.
- Immediately take the okra out of the pot and immerse it in cold or ice water to completely cool it down, and then remove the okra to control the water.
- Put the water-controlled okra into a fresh-keeping bag or plastic fresh-keeping box, seal it, and put it in the freezer of the refrigerator to freeze it. If your refrigerator has a quick-freezing function, it is best to use the quick-freezing function.
To sum up, organic frozen okra can be served cold or fried, with good taste and nutrition. Okra can be refrigerated or frozen. When storing, remember to pick and place individually, do not squeeze, otherwise it will be easily scratched, which will become stale. Of course, we mainly want to eat fresh vegetables, so it is best not to keep okra in the refrigerator for too long, and it is best to eat them when they are fresh.
The nutritional value of okra
- Okra contains pectin, galactan, etc., which can help digestion, treat gastritis and gastric ulcers, protect the skin and gastric mucosa, and is known as one of the best health-care vegetables for human beings.
- It contains a variety of nutrients, such as iron, calcium, and sugar, and has the effect of preventing anemia. The mucin secreted by it has the function of protecting the stomach wall, promoting the secretion of gastric juice, improving appetite, and improving indigestion embolism. It contains vitamin A, which is good for retinal health and vision maintenance.
- For young adults and athletes, okra can eliminate fatigue and quickly restore physical strength. At the same time, okra’s tender fruit contains a viscous liquid and arabinan, galactan, rhamnose, protein, calcium oxalate, etc. Regular consumption helps digestion, enhances physical strength, protects the liver, and strengthens the stomach and intestines.
- Okra contains special medicinal ingredients, which can strengthen the kidney and tonify deficiency, and have an adjuvant treatment effect on organic diseases.
- In addition, because okra is rich in trace elements such as zinc and selenium, it can enhance the body’s anti-cancer and anti-cancer effects. It is rich in vitamin C and soluble fiber, so it not only has a health care effect on the skin but can also make the skin white and tender.
Xiamen sharp dragon is China’s leading international company producing quality food and exporting business. We have been in the food industry for over 20 years. Our products mainly include bulk frozen green beans, bulk frozen french fries, frozen veg spring roll, etc. Please feel free to contact us if you need wholesale bulk organic frozen okra.