Canned fruit is a kind of fresh-keeping food that uses fresh fruit as the main raw material. After processing, canning, venting, sealing, heat sterilization, cooling and other processes, it achieves commercial sterility, thereby extending the shelf life of food. According to different processing methods, canned fruits are divided into canned fruit in syrup, canned fruit in syrup, canned fruit in jam, and canned fruit juice. The main representative products are canned oranges in syrup, canned pineapples in syrup, and canned yellow peaches.
Canned fruit food characteristics
Freshness of canned fruit
In daily life, most consumers think that animal food is fresh just after being slaughtered, and plant food is fresh just after being picked. These foods lose their “freshness” after processing and storage, and canned fruits may not be able to keep up with the market. Juicy fruit, but the most authoritative evidence for judging the freshness of food is to see the degree of retention of the original nutrients in the fruit.
Any vegetables and fruits continue to “breathe” after picking, and some nutrients begin to decrease. Within 24 hours, grapes will lose 40% of vitamin C, oranges will lose 30%, yellow peaches will lose 10%, and vegetables and fruits will lose 40% of their vitamin C. After being picked, transported and stored for a long time, and then placed in farmers’ markets or supermarkets, even if the appearance is well preserved, it cannot call it fresh. In terms of freshness, only the freshest fruits are picked from the tree and eaten immediately.
Canned fruit is unique in terms of preservation of freshness and nutrition, second only to freshly picked fruit. The whole process from picking raw materials to processing is very short, usually no more than 6 hours. High-temperature heat treatment stops all chemical reactions of fruit and vegetable products, and the freshness and nutritional content of cans are fixed at the time when they are just picked. Canning not only preserves the nutritional value of food to the greatest extent, but also improves the nutritional value of food.
It is understood that canned food has greatly improved the taste of fresh fruits, such as canned hawthorn, many people feel stomach discomfort after eating a few hawthorns, and their teeth fall down, but the thickness of canned hawthorn water is obvious to all, and the juice flows down The dripping speed is very slow, and it tastes sour and sweet in the mouth.
The mouth is thick and very strong; canned oranges have removed the silk that many people don’t like, soft and sweet, smooth and fragrant, and canned oranges are a bit close to juice, so you can drink them directly; the sweetness of peaches penetrates into peaches, peaches and sugar water are fused to form a strong mellow aroma, which brings out the most essence of peaches and sweetness, and becomes a popular one among many canned varieties.
Another characteristic of canned fruit is that not only the fruit pulp is delicious, but the true color and flavor of the fruit are completely integrated into the sugar water. The flavor of canned water is even stronger than that of fruit juice. You can buy it yourself and compare it, and you will be able to truly understand it. Feel the unique flavor of canned water, and after eating the canned food, pick up the bottle and drink the canned water in one gulp, only then can you really appreciate the sweetness of the fruit. In addition, with the development of greenhouse technology and postharvest storage technology, it is possible to ensure that consumers can eat “fresh” fruits at any time, but more and more people are complaining that off-season fruits are “tasteless”, which is caused by the dry growth environment conditions affecting the nutrients and flavor substances inside the plant accumulation. The raw materials used for processed canned fruit come from the normal growing season, and the nutrition and flavor quality are better.
No need to add preservatives
According to a survey report conducted by the China Canned Food Association on nearly 6,000 consumers, about half of consumers believe that canned food contains preservatives and is not fresh, and the more educated consumers are, the deeper their misunderstandings have affected canned food. industry development. Liang Zhongkang, chairman of the China Canned Food Association, said that canned food refers to a type of food that is canned, sealed and then heat-sterilized to achieve commercial sterility to prolong the shelf life of food. There is no need to add preservatives at all.
In addition, at present, my country’s canned food is mainly used for export. Developed countries such as Japan, North America, and Europe are the main importers of canned food, so their safety standards are more serious and strict. Therefore, in terms of production technology and management level, etc., canning enterprises have very strict control. Canned food is not only peeled and cored, but also completely eliminates the residual pesticides on the peel. When making canned food, it is sealed, high-temperature heat treatment and vacuum preservation process, and the sterilization effect is the most thorough. Therefore, canned fruit does not need to add any preservatives at all. Depending on the sealing of the container and the high-pressure sterilization of the food, it will not deteriorate for a long time, and the high vacuum in the container can maximize the preservation of the flavor and nutrition of the food. XIAMEN SHARP DRAGON adopts the international advanced canning technology to achieve vacuum packaging under the condition of high temperature sterilization. This allows the canned food to be stored in a dry, empty and aseptic state without any additives.
Pay attention when buying canned fruit
- When buying canned fruit, first observe whether the outer packaging is neat and clean, and the handwriting is clear; secondly, it should be confirmed that the product is within the shelf life, and whether the food label is marked with the name of the company, factory name, factory address, ingredient list, net content, and solid content. Content, standard number, quality grade and other information.
- For products packaged in glass bottles, you can observe whether the content is complete and whether there are foreign objects. Some canned fruits often have quality problems such as discoloration during processing or during storage and transportation, so it depends on whether the color of the fruit should be browned. When choosing products packaged in metal cans, do not buy products that have rust on the outer wall or lid of the metal can due to corrosion.
- Do not buy products whose packaging shape has changed. When canned fruit is polluted by microorganisms and loses its edible value, the phenomenon of “fat listening” of the product often occurs, that is, the volume of the outer packaging of the product increases through the naked eye. Products packaged in metal cans are often collided by objects during transportation, and the outer wall is often sunken, and air can easily enter, causing the contents to become rancid. Products found in the above situations cannot be eaten.
- When buying canned fruit, you should distinguish between canned sugar water and canned syrup. The concentration of sugar water in canned sugar water is generally around 15%, which is more suitable for direct consumption. Syrup cans have a high concentration of sugar water, above 65%, and are only suitable for food processing. Therefore, consumers should see the concentration of sugar water on the food label clearly when purchasing, and distinguish them before purchasing.
- Consumers should try their best to buy products produced by formal enterprises or enterprises with a certain scale in the main production area of products in reputable shopping malls. When purchasing, you should carefully check the production date and shelf life, and carefully check the integrity of the outer packaging.
- The water and sugar content in canned fruit is very high. After opening the lid, it is easy to cause a large number of microorganisms to multiply, causing the product to become rancid and lose its edible value. Consumers are advised to consume as much as possible after opening the lid.